Canvas Corp Brands Black Friday Challenge

This post is all about the Canvas Corp Brands Black Friday Challenge.

The idea was to create anything that was all black. “Create a project that is 90% black – the other 10% can only be white, grey, or metallic.”

To begin with I found an old canvas that I had on hand. This canvas had a hole punched in it and I knew I wouldn’t use it for another project.

Gathering up lots of black items I had a nice pile on my work desk. Where to begin…

Canvas Corp Brands Black Friday Challenge

I didn’t have any black gesso so I sorta made a grey gesso. Since I didn’t have any black gesso I mixed white gesso with black paint. What I should have done is made the gesso from scratch. But for now I’ll keep the grey as I can still use it in projects.

The focal piece was a Christmas ornament. Finding the glitter covered deer gave me the perfect item to use as the focal point. Which is important to have in an art piece.

Canvas Corp Brands Black Friday Challenge

The Canvas Corp Brands mixed media pack is a great resource for this project. I pulled Tissue paper, burlap and scrapbook paper from the pack.

Have you seen those little sets of LED lights in the craft stores? Christmas is a great time to find these lights and if you are lucky you can get them on sale.

Recently I’ve gotten two new toys. One is a Silhouette CAMEO® 3 and the other is a Circut Explorer Air. With these two new toys I was able to cut the words and poinsettias.

The Silhouette design “Ornate Frame” paired with the Samantha font helped me create the phrase Believe in the Magic. I used the Cricut Joys of the Season cartridge Poinsettia, altering the image by adding more layers and changing the sizes of the petals.

Canvas Corp Brands Black Friday Challenge

If you haven’t figured out yet I really love tools and gadgets. I also have the Tim Holtz Vagabond and I used this to cut the Sizzix Trees. It might be hard to tell but there are six trees on the canvas.

Canvas Corp Brands Black Friday Challenge

This was a good challenge for me, to think outside of the box and make up an art piece that used black as the foundation. I enjoyed making this and now I’m planning on another project that I want to make similar to this piece.

Canvas Corp Brands Black Friday Challenge

Have you tried a challenge like this one? Come and join the Canvas Corp Brands Collective to learn about other challenges and see lots of art to inspire you. Challenge #ccbblack

Here is just a little video of the piece. Enjoy!

Joined in the following challenges:

Not a Card

Anything goes

Holly Jolly Christmas

It’s a Holly Jolly Christmas greeting card.

I stumbled upon the 52 Christmas Card Thowdown and there are 5 challenges to become a member of the design team.  Two of the projects are done, this is number three, Christmas Critters.

christmas-critters

For this theme I decided to pull out the Brutus Monroe stamps from the Oh, Deer set, under the new releases. This stamp set is super cute and I thought it was perfect for a Holly Jolly Christmas card.

Other items used: Close to My Heart saying – Have a Holly Jolly Christmas, Holly Pond – Tree. Tim Holtz Distressed Inks, White Glitter paint – the kind used for t-shirts and glitter. I love adding googly eyes to cards, it makes then so much more fun! Hobby Lobby had a package of tiny Santa Hats and I knew one would be perfect for this card.

Making this card was a lot of fun. Used masking to get the background. Backgrounds are fun when you can make it look like it was all a planned part of the scene.  The card looks like it was professionally planned with the background all in place.

Using a bit of ribbon gave some glitz to the card. The bird holding the ribbon I felt gave it a nice touch. As if the Christmas Critters were working together to have a Holly Jolly Christmas. Don’t you agree?

Holly Jolly Christmas

Since this is my third card for the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown it’s getting to be fun and at the same time a challenge. I look forward to the challenge each week. Wondering what will be the new challenge assignment. What is also great is seeing all the cards created by other artists. Go check out all of the cards for the challenge. There are lots of great ideas every week!

Hope you enjoy my card for this challenge. And have a Holly Jolly Christmas too!

~ Linda

Holly Jolly Christmas