Sharing a Handmade Paper Tutorial with you today. Upcycling or recycling papers into handmade papers is a great way to reduce waste. Instead of throwing out those papers save a batch to make your own papers.
Handmade Paper Tutorial Video.
Supplies used for the Handmade Paper Tutorial
- Shredded papers, These can be junk mail, old bills, misprinted papers, scraps of paper, scrapbook paper, if it is paper you can use it to create new paper.
- Purex Sta-Flo Liquid Starch is good to use if you plan to use other than recycled paper.
- Tub to hold water I use two one for soaking the shredded paper and the second for the pulp bath.
- Blender, Mine is from a thrift store.
- Paper Deckle frame set. Mine is handmade by me and the inside measurement is 8.5 x 11 inches and I’m working with a local contractor to create more to offer in my shop.
- Cotton Fabric cut or torn into 10 x 15 inch pieces – big enough to cover the deckle and use to hold the new handmade paper
- Towels and sponges to soak up excess water.
- Iron or Garment Press. I happened to use a commercial garment press that we no longer use at our shop WeEmbroider.com.
- Pressing cloth or Craft Sheet
The method I used for this Handmade Paper Tutorial was first I shredded paper. Some of the papers were already shredded and some I did myself. If you want to start with more white papers, then be selective in your paper shredding.
Many years ago I worked for the IT department